Monday, June 7, 2010

Summer Break

Since we were gone most of last week, I feel like today was the start of our summer break.  It went well.  It rained this morning, so the kids didn’t go outside until this afternoon.  That’s a little backwards for our summer weather, but it worked today.  We also had friends over for a couple of hours this afternoon.  There were only some minor tiffs throughout the day.  Otherwise they did well together.

I’m going to give them this week off, but I know from experience that after that, we’re going to need some structure.   I have a few ideas as to what we’ll do.  We’ll still have our morning chores and we need to get going on some 4-H projects.  I’ll also schedule our bowling times and a weekly library trip.  I want to spend time in some of our nearby state parks.  Plus we need to get some use out of our zoo and museum passes.  So my assignment this week is to put together a preliminary routine.  I’m fairly certain not one week will go according to my plans, but it’s good to give a little structure to our days.

I’ve also decided that this summer I’m going to pick a small goal each week to work toward.  Emphasis on small.  Just little things I want to do better.  This week I’m trying to drink one extra glass of water a day.  (I said small.) 

P 008

I’m not a plain water lover—I prefer a little flavoring.  This spring I made the decision to limit my pop intake to 12 oz. a day—unless, of course, we happen to be near a Sonic during Happy Hour.  Most other flavorings involve either sugar—which I don’t need—or artificial sweeteners—which tend to give me a stomach ache when I have too much.  Plus anything other than plain water costs money.  So I need to just get past my preferences and do this.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

________________

I forgot to mention that we did manage to clean out our storage unit before the end of May.  We had started to have some extra room in our storage areas here, but that is no longer true.  This house has a serious lack of storage area.  Who builds a big house without storage?  I guess it’s giving us that motivation to continue to shed the weight.

No comments: