Words cannot describe the difference in the noise level around here from last week to this week. And along with the increase in noise there is an increase in energy level and more of a desire to go-see-do. In two days, we’ve logged more miles than all of last week.
- We’ve discovered you cannot buy the standard sized K’Nex pieces in stores, only the newer, smaller pieces.
- We’ve also discovered HobbyTown no longer carries K’Nex.
- Samuel has also asked me to crochet him a small throw, so we went to the store to get yarn. It didn’t surprise me that he picked out the brightest, most colorful yarn he could find.
- We resumed our weekly trips to the Nebraska History Museum for story time, and over the next few weeks I may regret the decision I made today to let them buy a piece of candy at the gift shop.
- We’ve been successful in picking out material and notions for Ellie’s 4-H projects. But all this on-the-go stuff does not bode well in trying to actually DO the projects.
I had grand plans to just relax this evening. But the weather was so beautiful and our backyard so boring we packed up a lunch and headed down the road to Mahoney State Park. We found a quiet place to eat,
then climbed the observation tower.
Ellie and Samuel were all over that one. I’m not a great fan of heights, and the fact that the tower moves so much just enhances my fears. It was bad enough witnessing (and feeling) Samuel run around the top, but I was pretty paranoid about Noah. I was making him hold my hand, which he was not enjoying. I may have freaked out a little bit when he suddenly let go and made a bee-line for the railing. Ellie’s response basically confirmed I was going a little overboard. I was so glad to climb back down.
We followed a trail for awhile, constantly swiping mosquitoes off our arms and faces. One of those buggers even bit me on the lip! I usually enjoy walking the trails, but tonight was definitely not a pleasant hike. We headed over to the playground instead, which was a much better option. All in all, I think it was a much better way to spend our evening.
The kids are in bed now, which means I can start doing some of that relaxing. Except the fireworks shows are just now getting into full swing….
____________
Despite my fears, I was able to take a couple of photos from the observation tower of the uncommonly full Platte River.
And you may have noticed Abby is missing from the pictures. She is off to camp this week, and probably having more fun that we did tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment