Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Foray into Coupon Land

I’m still trying to stick with the couponing.  It can get so confusing.  There’s a hundred different ways to organize the silly things.  And then you still end up missing some. 

P 051

Today I made a trip to Tarjay and came away with these things.  Without coupons this would have cost $23.53.  I bought them for $6.04. 

The problem with couponing is you can get wrapped up in a “good deal.”  In other words, it’s easy to rationalize a purchase just because it’s cheap.  Never mind if you can use it.  I needed body wash and lotion, so those were a good buy for me.  Those two items alone cost me just over $3.50.  The deodorant is not my usual brand, but for about $.50 I’ll make it work.  I didn’t exactly need two packages of Rolaids, but the coupon was a “Buy 2” coupon.  If I end up only using one box, I won’t feel bad about wasting the other since it only cost me around $.25.  (The coupon was a whopping $4 off!)  The wipes were a bigger package than I usually buy.  I make my own wipes to use here at home, so the packages are for the diaper bag.  It will make the bag heavy for awhile, but I think it was worth it—at $1 they were about 75 cents cheaper than my usual (smaller) buy.  And the cereal is one I’ve never tried.  But it was free—you can’t go wrong with that.

The other issue with using coupons for non-grocery items is the tax.  I can’t quite figure it out.  Some items I paid tax on the full amount, some on the reduced amount.  I suppose it has something to do with the way the store is reimbursed.

All in all, I think I was a good trip.  What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

made me realize coupons can be good, i used to do it, got lazy, but your purchases have prompted me to go back to coupon land!!!