Like many boys his age, Samuel has difficulty saying his r’s. It’s actually pretty cute. We have seen some improvement lately. He used to use a pretty solid “y” sound—“yabbits” (the animal), “yed” (the color), etc. Now it’s more of an “uh” sound. It seems to be a step in the right direction, and right now we have no reason to believe he won’t get it eventually.
And apparently, he’s not even really aware of it. A couple of weeks ago I was giving him a haircut. He was mumbling something to himself to stay entertained. At one point he started giggling, so I asked him what he was talking about.
He started telling me all about a commercial he’d seen. I have no idea what the commercial is advertising, but it’s a very common scene. It’s a clip showing a certain bald, funny-looking, big-headed guy carrying a gun and looking for that clever, long-legged, carrot-loving animal. Yep, Elmer Fudd. Samuel had no idea what his name was, but he was having a lot of fun trying to explain the characters and the commercial to me.
And the best part was hearing him quote that famous line—“Be vewy, vewy, quiet. I’m hunting wabbits.” Then Samuel just cracked up. “Do you know what’s so funny about that? He can’t say his awhhs.”
Funny kid.
No comments:
Post a Comment