Wednesday, March 25, 2009

He'll Be the Death of Me

Noah has always been a lover of textiles. When he first started learning how to use his hands to grab, he preferred to play with his blanket, his burp rag, my shirt, etc. He loves the little tags on his stuffed animals.

Because of his "textile obsession," he learned at a very young age to play Peek-a-boo--by himself. He can lay on the floor for minutes (the baby equivalent of "hours") playing peek-a-boo. He pulls the blanket up over his head, then waves his arms around, kicking like crazy and giggling. Then he'll slowly pull the blanket down until he can peek out at you. He'll laugh like crazy, then pull the blanket back up and do it all over again. It's absolutely hilarious. As I type this, I realize I need to try to catch this on video.

This picture taken last night is not hilarious.

This is not Noah playing peek-a-boo. It's Noah fast asleep. I can't tell you how many times I've found him this way. I used to be able to tuck the blanket around him so he couldn't do this, but now that he rolls all over, it's useless. I don't want to take the blanket away from him. First of all, he spends about 75% of his day within reach of a blanket--I'm tellin' ya, this kid loves his blankie. Secondly, I need my babies to have loveys--it makes time away from home so much easier. It makes the transition to and from bed easier. It makes sickness less painful and doctor's visits more tolerable. (Tell me you had a lovey as a kid and this all makes sense.) I can't take it away from him.

I did put the blanket over my face the other night. I think it has a loose enough weave to let air pass through. It makes me feel a little better, but I still don't like it. Obviously I tolerated it long enough last night to get the camera and snap a picture. But don't worry, as soon as I got it, I made sure I left him like this:

And maybe you can help me figure out what to do about this:


Sorry about the dark, fuzzy, low-light pictures. I should have raised the ISO on the camera. The picture of Samuel is bright enough because I was able to turn the light on to take it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what happened with the Iditarod?

Mike said...

LoL! They sleep like I do! The pic of Samuel might just as well be a pic of me sleeping... Pillow over the head, instead of under it, wrapped-up in the blanket, with his feet sticking out... Yep!