Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Tale of Two Cameras

Hello, all! I'm back! Sorry I left you for so long.

Abby's been wanting a digital camera for quite awhile. She's been saving her money in hopes of buying a $40 model she saw at [the local big-box store]. While I was happy she wanted to enter the world of photography, I found myself in a difficult situation. I didn't want to see her save so long to buy a camera that would take sub-par photos that weren't worth keeping. Yet, I knew she would get frustrated waiting to get enough money for a decent, low-end camera.

And then Christmas loomed, and I decided to sell her my little Kodak point-and-shoot. I've loved that little camera--it's always in my purse or diaper bag and many of the pictures on this site were taken with it. But I was looking to move up a little and knew the timing was right to let her have it. Why? Because this year, instead of dropping subtle hints (which doesn't always work) I made a list. Except for a few small things, the only thing on the list was this camera. Guess what I got for Christmas? Now we're both happy and happily snapping pictures.

Abby's had practice taking pictures in the past. We've bought her disposable cameras for vacations and camp. But it's been fun watching her figure out a digital camera. Here's a few shots she captured over Christmas.


She's doing pretty well, most of the time. She does have a tendency to cut heads off and take too-close-ups, such as this one.

My cousin, Kim scored this necklace in the Reiter $1 gift-exchange, and it's obvious Abby wanted a picture of the necklace, not Kim with her necklace. And she doesn't know how to use the zoom yet, so it's extra amusing watching her take these type of pictures. I gave her the instruction booklet, though. If there is anyone out there that actually reads those cover to cover, Abby would be one.

I'm still trying to figure out my new camera. I don't like taking pictures with flash, so I'm trying to figure out the camera's light sensor and get better low-light pictures. Of course, that's a little more difficult with a P&S without the manual settings. Here's one shot that turned out OK.

One of the fun things about this camera is its number of color settings. Here's a desaturation option.

And here's a fun one.

I realize this can all be done with a computer and photo editing software, but it's kinda fun to play around with it a little.

Hopefully, now that we're back on a regular schedule, I'll be able to learn more, shoot more pictures and share them with you.

No comments: