Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Another Noah Update (featuring The New Camera)

Noah had his six-month check-up last week. (Six months already!!!) He weighed in at a whopping 18 lbs. 10 oz. He's also 27.75 inches long. A big boy! I love taking my kids to the doctor. First of all, we usually only make sick visits one or two times a year, so most of the time we're there for well-checks. Those are the fun, let's-see-how-we're-doing visits. Secondly, our pediatrician is a casual acquaintance--we attend the same church and I've had the chance to get to know his wife. He's a great guy whose number one asset is his belief that every parent has a God-given ability to raise their child. In other words, Mom really does know best. He's always been a great cheerleader of the things we do with our kids (how we schedule them, how we introduce solids, how we educate them) and only offers advice when we ask for it. His staff, his partners--in short, everyone who works there are awesome, helpful people. I am so thankful for them.

We talked about how Noah compares to Samuel at the same age (different in as many ways as you can imagine) and had a funny discussion about the one feature that sets Noah apart from all his siblings. (I'll dedicate a separate post to this in the very near future--stay tuned.) He gave me the "Good job, Mom" talk, then turned us over to the wicked nurse who stuck three nasty needles into Noah's legs. Actually she's a very nice person, but there's no way you can convince Noah of that now. The worst part of having your kids immunized is the look they give you when it happens. It's as if they're saying, "How could you let them do this to me?"

You would think that this big boy is a voracious eater. He's been pretty hesitant about eating "real" food. He's warmed up to rice cereal and tolerates oatmeal. The fruits and veggies have been a challenge. I've found he needs to try each one about three times before he'll actually eat it. So far he's had banana, avocado, applesauce, carrots, peas, pumpkin and sweet potatoes. He's been eating Rice Krispies, and just today mastered the art of eating Cheerios. And he loves water, which we give him dropper-style from a straw. Here's a video of him enjoying some high chair time.


He's also figured out the jumper, which he loves. But now that we've finished (mostly) the basement, we don't have any wide open spaces for him to jump. Ellie and Samuel both figured out how to swing the jumper as well as jump. I don't think Noah will have that chance, jumping in the few small doorways we have available. Here he is the night he "discovered" jumping.


I'm really liking the video capabilities of this camera. It's much better than the other two. It's still a little too slow to catch a moving baby. But since I can't afford a video camera right now, this will work just fine.

I'm not sure why, but the videos weren't loading earlier via the blogger tool. So I guess I now have a YouTube channel. What's next? Facebook? Oh wait, I'm already there.

1 comment:

Mike said...

The vids are "by invitation only" because you made them private. And I don't have a YouTube account, and don't really want one. I suppose it's part of Google - like everrything now - so my Google/Gmail/Blogger/Froogle/Picasa/G-earth/g-talk login might work....

Can Picasa manage vids? [via the blogger/web-albums interface?]