Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Bunnies

Samuel has two imaginary friends that follow him around everywhere. Their names are always changing, but they are bunnies. We hear about them daily. Sometimes he'll be taking a long time to do something. Usually it's because "I'm waiting for my bunnies." Sometimes we'll see him motioning or pointing to things. "I'm showing _____ to my bunnies." or "I'm showing my bunnies how to _____." The other day, he was pointing out the parts of his tractor to his bunnies.

He's also found them a very convenient scapegoat when he gets in trouble. "My bunnies made me do it!" I find it somewhat refreshing that he doesn't exactly blame the bunnies for the wrongdoing--he still takes the blame. But now he has me pondering. Does he actually think/pretend they're telling him to do it at the time of the misdeed? Or does he just use them as an excuse if/when he gets caught later? Maybe a little of both, depending on the circumstances?

How do you punish an imaginary bunny?

1 comment:

Mike said...

At dinner tonight Britney and I were talking about "Of Mice and Men" and how Lennie liked to pet the rabbits... Just to Samuel doesn't start acting out like Lennie did.....