This past weekend was the Mayor's Run--a kids one-mile run around the Capital building. It was a perfect day for a run (but what would I know about that?). This year we remembered to pick up our packets the evening before so we didn't have to show up extra early Saturday morning. Of course that meant we had to park quite far away. Did I mention this run is one of the top 10 kid's road races in the country? Yeah, there were a lot of people.
About two-thirds of the way to the starting line I realized I had left my camera in the van. There was no way I was going to be able to go get it and make it back in time to see Abby run. So I have no photos to share.
Abby ran a 12:06. She wanted to PR (set a new personal record), but with the pack of kids that run, it's hard to do that. Her current PR is 11:51 and was set at the Lincoln Mile--a MUCH smaller race. Hopefully she'll be able to PR when she runs it again in July. Here's a picture of her at the race. Oh, yeah. I don't have one.
Samuel ran for the first time and I was sure to get a picture of this important milestone. Oh, wait. I guess not. He was tripped at the beginning and was pretty intimidated by the whole thing. He ran a 13:42. At the end he very sadly told us, "I couldn't beat Daddy." The only way Jason could keep him going was to run in front of him. I guess he was supposed to back off at the finish line. With this first experience behind him, I'm sure he'll be more confident next time.
Ellie's heat was the last of the day and did that girl burn up the pavement! We kept telling her to get as close to the front of the pack as she could. "No being nice today," we told her. She usually lets the masses crowd in in front of her, then she spends the whole race trying to dodge them. She did managed to get in front and PR-ed big time. Her previous PR was 9:24. She ran an 8:28!! Certainly a feat worthy of a picture! Oh, well, maybe you can see her in your mind--red face, big grin, shoulders carried high.
I did have a friend at the race who was a good mommy and remembered her camera. She was going to try to get some shots for me. If I get those, I'll be sure to post them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Cathy--Thanks for the comment you left on my blog, it's always fun to find someone out there living a "parallel life". ;o) Congrats to your kiddos on their races! (and sorry about the lack of camera--I feel your pain) ;o)
Wow Ellie is fast!
i do have some pictures, now if i could just figure out how to send them to you, i will ask jacob this weekend! Talk to you soon!
Post a Comment