Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Not Me

I like to read several blogs, including mckmama. She has a weekly feature called "Not Me Monday." It's her opinion that we, as moms, tend to underestimate ourselves as parents while we overestimate others. She contends that one way we can encourage one another is to admit to our faults and downfalls. "Not Me Monday" is a chance to do just that, in the mode of sarcasm. Since sarcasm is second nature to me (some would say it's my mother tongue), I thought it would be fun to try. Here's my version--not, by the way, on Monday.


I did not, when I got groceries last week, buy hot dogs. No, we're too health-conscious around here. I wouldn't do that. Not me.

I did not find them in the fridge today and decide to cut them up and add them to macaroni and cheese. Because I never let my kids eat hot dogs. And I did not try to alleviate my guilt somewhat by throwing in some broccoli.

And I certainly did not decide that this was a good time to get rid of use up the processed cheese food that made its way into my fridge with someone else's groceries. No. It's all-natural for this family. I would never serve a meal like that to my precious children.



And I would never take such a meal and grind it up to feed to my baby. Not me.



And when he refused to eat it, I did not feel a tinge of resentment toward this kid who is so picky when it comes to the texture of his food. And I certainly did not simply pull the first jar of baby food out of the cupboard and feed that to him instead. No, not me. I always use the freshly-made-and-frozen, wholesome foods in the freezer whenever we're home, because I know jarred baby food is so much more expensive and should only be used when we're not home.

Oh, and we most certainly did not top off our meal with a Little Debbie chocolate cake. No, I would never let my daughter talk me into buying a box the last time she went grocery shopping with me. Not me. It's only the healthiest foods that make it into my family's bodies.