Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trick-or-treat

There are several reason why we love living in a small town, and Halloween is one of them. Each year, the businesses at the strip mall and downtown set up shop to welcome the town's kids as they trick-or-treat. It's so fun to see so much of the town mill around on the streets. The kids literally get their bags filled with candy and goodies, and the adults get to chat as we follow them around. Then every one heads home and the next phase begins. Porch lights come on, garage parties get started and the bags are filled yet again. I think we had close to 100 trick-or-treaters. We ran out of candy and the girls were going through their bags, sorting out what they didn't want to continue to hand out. Ummm....maybe we need to talk about selflessness and sacrifice.

The kids were extra excited about Halloween this year because, thanks to Grandma's generosity, they got store-bought costumes. I was excited about that, too, because that took some pressure off me--I didn't have to get the sewing machine out or try to put anything together. I wasn't nearly as excited, though, when we went to the store. The choices--for girls especially--were awful! Not in a gory way, either. In a revealing, swanky way. We finally found these and I think they were happy with them.


And now, for the next month, when they ask for dessert, I can't tell them we don't have anything. Tootsie Roll anyone?

No comments: